[jhb_airlines] Re: Matrox TripleHead 2Go

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:51:53 +0100

Not another installment, just a technical question.
When the three monitors are enabled, the Windows Desktop appears in the left screen. The bad news is that if I cock up an operation andneed to reboot the triple screen initiator, I can't get at it because it's on the left screen, which, at such times, goes blank.
Is there a way of moving Windows Desktop from left screen to right screen?

Gerry Winskill

Gerry Winskill wrote:

Having bitten the bullet, the TripleHead device arrived, yesterday afternoon. Since I would't risk buying, or having bought for me, the other two LCD Monitors, I've been playing around, using my existing numbers two and three, but not placed in the optimum position, each side of the main monitor.
After a few significant hitches I've now got it running. From the Matrox Forum's TripleHead section, it's clear that bugs are still surfacing and being dealt with. There are several othe FS9 users on the forum, which should help.
I've got FS9 running on it and several points emerge, even at this early stage. I think permanent monitors would need to be located at a slight angle to the main screen, since there is a slight sideway component to the scenery movement on the side screens.
Framerates are a pleasant surprise. I was still getting 35 fps, landing at Ronaldsway, having taken off from Belfast.
The next point makes me a bit suspicious of the screen shots in the Flightsim product review. We'd already suspected they were a pastiche, since there was no evidence of any monitors having physical surrounds. On booting up FS9 the first thing I noticed, in 2D mode, was that the instrument panel stretched across the three screens, incurring strong lateral distortion. Changing to VC mode produced the same effect. The minipanel was also distorted by being stretched. A check on the forum confirms it's bound to happen, whether in 2D, vc, or whatever. The only way to avoid it is to Unlock the instrument panel window and physically resize it and re locate to the central panel. The snag with this is that the panel is now in a blue framed display. In my case it won't matter, since I do this normally, moving that window onto its own monitor. So, how did the Flightsim reviewer manage to get a display, in both 2D and VC, that Matrox say is not achievable?

The next feature that didn't surface in the review is that there's no easy way to switch back to a single monitor, on the fly. Running FS9 on three screens is one thing, writing this posting across three screens is a different kettle of fish. Which makes me think that any future PC upgrade, whether for FSX or a more effective FS9, will probably run just FS?? only, with this box of gubbins, with one monitor, retained for everything else.

If you've not fallen asleep. wait for the next gripping installment.