[jhb_airlines] Re: Malta run

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:57:54 -0000

My sudden vanishing act must have been disconcerting for the pilots on my
frequency at the time. I don't think FPI warns you that ATC have vanished so
I presume the first inkling is when one aircraft calls ATC and gets no reply
- at which point the penny may drop. This may be quite a while after,
depending on how busy it is, but I assume everyone here will call the next
appropriate controller to explain the situation..

I've not had two aircraft close enough in FPI to see what happens on my
screen when aircraft get too close. You can dial in the range and height
limits you need as this will vary with controller position. For Centre work
it's 5nm and 1000ft but for Approach Control within 40nm this can be reduced
to 3nm and 1000ft. I don't know if the TCAS has adjustable values but I'd
guess it defaults to 5nm and 1000ft.