[jhb_airlines] Re: M$ Licensing

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 14:41:10 +0000

thats an interesting one Re the voucher..... how do they know who built it!?

In a previous job I was in charge of product licensing, I can assure you even Microsoft product HQ have no idea how a licensing agreement works.

I'd be tempted to go for the upgrade voucher option meself, they'll never be able to prove you didnt buy it with it pre-installed.

Alex

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase a new PC (self-build) and will be getting XP to put on it, with a view to upgrading to Vista later.  However, I'm not sure whether if I buy an OEM version of XP it is valid to be upgraded. I know that OEM software can only be installed on the PC/components that it was purchased with (i.e. not transferable to another PC) but I'm wondering whether there are any upgrade restrictions?

Needless to say when I've asked the question to suppliers I've got varied responses.  From my experience at work not many people can get their heads around M$ licensing, including M$ resellers!

Interestingly, OEM versions of XP are being shipped with a Vista upgrade voucher, but this apparently is only valid if your PC has been built for you and the O/S pre-installed before delivery.

Cheers

Phil