[jhb_airlines] Re: Lovely Weather For Ducks

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:04:13 +0100

Fuel is getting expensive now so you will see operators looking for more
ways to cut costs. On short haul it is almost the norm now to see aircraft
continue climbing until they reach their descent point - no level flight at
all.

Jet operating heights are going up too. 20 years ago the levels that were
most in demand were FL330 and FL350 but more and more are going up to FL390
or FL410. The latter is the limit for most commercial jets - only a handful
push up to FL450.

On my radar right now I have 85 contacts. Just one is at FL410 (Gulfstream
4), one at FL390 (A330), five at FL380, two at FL370, four at FL360 and 15
between FL350 and FL300.

http://woodair.net