[jhb_airlines] Re: Live traffic feed

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:45:49 +0100

OK - it's just a test right now, some rough and ready code by Sean. I'll
send you the KMZ file direct - it's only 1K.

Start Google Earth and position rough over the south of England. Find the
KMZ file and just double click on it - Google should find it and start the
link up.

If Sean's feed is active you should get an instant overlay of all the
current UK traffic which is ASDB equipped. The target will show Mode S code
and callsign (if the pilot has input this). The screen should update every
ten seconds.

Two things. It's crude and Sean is still tweaking code so the feed may not
always be on. Second is that the datastream will trigger a warning box from
time to time when it tries to load data at the same time GE is connecting.
In this case just click to cancel the message box and this will stop the
live stream. To start it again go to the left panel and right click on SBS
Live Update and select Refresh. This will kick it into action again.

The data is coming direct from Sean's SBS receiver so coverage is centred on
his aerial and limited to what his receiver picks up.