[jhb_airlines] Re: Limited Account

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:22:58 +0100

Without seeing your screen I can't be sure what you are looking at. Just in
case you have moved the wrong folders check to see if the uninstall routine
icon you are looking at is the program itself or a shortcut to it. Right
click the icons and select properties if you can't identify the icon type.
Under the General tab it should say Type of File = Shortcut.

If you select Explore from the Start button it should open up Explorer at
the folder called Start Menu. This has a sub folder called Programs which
should contain a raft of shortcuts - these being the icons you see when you
click on Start and All Programs. It really helps here if you've changed the
settings in Explorer to show all file extensions - go into Tools and Folder
Options, select the View tab and untick "Hide extensions for known file
types".

When a program first installs most tend to put several shortcuts on your
system. One is the program itself, one generally an uninstall shortcut and
most include a document shortcut too. A few programs install a real bunch of
useless shortcuts too - links to their web site pages ad nauseum and
suchlike. If these shortcuts don't get bundled in a sub folder to Programs
the result is the inevitable screen clutter you see on all to many PC's. On
my system I have but three icons on the desktop, sometimes a few more when I
am testing software.

The truth is that I work in Explorer a lot so if I need to launch a
program's readme file or uninstall it I will do so from its installed folder
rather than through a desktop shortcut. My thinking is that any link to an
item that is likely to be used just once or twice in the history of the
product shouldn't exist as a shortcut. I therefore cut all shortcuts down to
the minimum required - usually the shortcut for the program itself and,
sometimes, manuals for some of the beefier products like the PMDG aircraft.

I admit this is not everyone's cup of tea. It takes continual maintenance,
especially when testing beta software like Pilot Club. You move all your
shortcuts and then they release a new beta which puts them all back again.
<g>