[jhb_airlines] Re: Lights out

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:51:57 +0100

I was going to say that in my reply but I wasn't sure and deleted the
paragraph. I know the Manchester accident accelerated the introduction of
the aisle strips but I think they were already being looked at from earlier
incidents.

Aircrew can spend a lot of time "dead legging" and long haul crews spend a
lot of time in hotels. A very senior US pilot wrote a superb article on
safety and survival many years ago because he found that more pilots/crews
were being killed in dead leg accidents and hotel fires than on "active
service". For flights as passengers he simply reminded crews that they also
should pay attention to escape procedures and not just assume they knew it
all. He also suggested that crews had a moral responsibility to assist the
real flight crew on evacuating passengers.

For hotels his message was more blunt. As soon as you have checked into your
room go out again and look for the nearest fire escape. For an internal exit
go down this to see where it ends up. Return to your room and look for a
second exit nearby and repeat. Now return to your room and try and find
these exits with your eyes shut. Yep - he says it can lead to some odd looks
from other users but that's better than being dead.

Two other no-no's. Never use an elevator if the building is on fire. You
never know when power will fail and you can't guarantee it won't take you
down into the heart of the fire. The second rule, silly but it has happened,
is not to jump in a bath full of cold water. As he wryly said "If you've
seen a boiled lobster I hope that vision will persuade you not to try this
course of action."