[jhb_airlines] Re: Lights out

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:06:04 +0100

I forget the accident that triggered this change although I can recall some
of the reasons for the rules being revised. It was an overrun accident on
landing which, despite structural break up, most passengers had managed to
exit the aircraft. There were more passengers injured running away from the
aircraft than in the accident - mainly by colliding with ground objects they
couldn't see in the dark (enhanced by a state of panic).

A number of passengers ran down a gully and got stopped by a wire fence.
They couldn't get away from this and, tragically, they got trapped by
escaping fuel also running down the slope.

The investigation was puzzled by so many deaths/injuries and concluded that
the passengers were unable to see properly because of the rapid change from
a bright cabin to almost pitch black outside. Tests showed that lowered
cabin illumination increased the ability of the eyes to acclimatise to night
conditions substantially and so the lowered cabin lighting became a
statutory requirement for arrival and departure.

The aisle lighting was brought in around the same time - partly to guide
passengers in a dimmed cabin but also to assist exit from smoke filled
aircraft. This because you are told to get as low as possible in smoke
filled areas and should crawl to the exits..