[jhb_airlines] Re: Lightning

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:17:50 -0000

Yep - Shorts built the Sturgeon and the Seamew.

Much earlier (1929) they also built a horrible floatplane thing called the
Short Mussel (I kid you not). It didn't fly very well so they banged a new
engine in it and called it the Mussel 2. That wasn't any better so they
shoved it in a corner and forgot about it.

A couple of years later De Havilland got in touch with Shorts and asked if
they could design a set of floats for the Tiger Moth. Shorts pulled the
Mussel out, stripped the floats off it and sent then to DH. Apart from being
surprised about the speed at which Shorts could knock a pair of floats up
<g> DH found them to work on the Tiger perfectly - and so the Queen Bee was
born.

It was this float design I added to the FS model. It took longer than the
original aircraft to research and build but I ended up with a set of float
drawings, found out all about their history and, much later on, I discovered
that only one pair are left in existence thanks to a chance picture on the
web.