[jhb_airlines] Re: Last nite

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:08 +0100 (BST)

> Rubbish. You can't put a VFR aircraft into a holding pattern and
> neither is
> it necessary to put VFR aircraft at the tail of the IFR queue - you
> create a
> gap for him.
It may be down to the local controlling policy perhaps?  At Liverpool at
peak times they happily orbit VFR traffic a mile or so north or south of
the field for up to 10 minutes while they bring in the teatime commuters.
These orbits are not formal holds, and they do try and slot you in, but
if you can't see the incoming traffic they hold you until you can.  Then
they sometimes turn you away at the last minute.

The dialogue translates as "Are you visual with the A321 over Runcorn
Bridge?" "Negative I'm facing the wrong way and I don't have eyes in the
back of my head and it might be all right for you stuck up in that 80
foot high tower with your coffee cup and your mate at the other end of
the desk, but I'm on my own up here and I'm going round that mushroom
thingy for the fourth time now!" "OK then carry on orbiting..."

I bet you didn't know there are 36 vent chimneys in the roof of just one
of the Jaguar factory Buildings - I've counted 'em!

I went on a visit to Liverpool Tower recently and it was very enjoyable
and informative.  The controllers were really keen to explain how it all
works.  I loved the technical solution to passing the aircraft
information to and from the booking out man to the Tower controller. A
piece of plastic cable trunking screwed to the desk down which the strips
slide beautifully if given just enough of a shove.  (Yes - brand new
tower, same old strips).