[jhb_airlines] Re: Last night on FPI

  • From: gwinsk@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:26:26 +0100

On 28 Jul 2004 at 20:01, Bones wrote:

> You are right too - I could have given you a radar talkdown if I had
> managed to set it up in time. By that I mean getting the airfield
> elevation to work out the heights on the approach and setting the
> screen up for the Sheffield approach region. The only disadvantage of
> a radar talkdown is that the controller can't provide any service for
> other aircraft at the same time because a talkdown is almost
> continuous talk.

And how d'you think the poor pilot would feel, not having your undevided
attention? The
more I think about it, the more admiration I now have for the pilots to whom I
listened.
Having now seen the inside of a Vulcan, it puts a quite different slant on the
view I had
of his reacting to the "turn left three degrees" instructions. How the hell did
they spot
three degrees, particularly when they were often descending through turbulence?
On
the other hand, I now know how little they could see, on a bright, sunny day.
Nor had I
realised they were controlling the beast, using a gear lever from a 2CV!

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx