[jhb_airlines] Last Night's FPI

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:40:09 +0100

Yesterday evening's session was very enjoyable, despite the usual problem of no ATC in the ATIS window. Short legs, such as the Norwich Heathrow sector, definitely push up the workload.
Since the quest for reallity, accelerated by VFR GM and AG, prevents me flying in FSMeteo's current iffy UK conditions, I've moved to warmer climes.
A search of Avsim produced some decent third party small fields, plus LC, for New England, Florida and California. Just finished Santa Barbara to Vandenberg AFB. Though not up to UK VFR GM standard, it's quite pleasant. Anyone bought US Roads yet? I'm wondering about adding that and some of the Horizon USA bits to my prezzie list.
In passing, articles in the GA mags show the USA to be much more GA friendly and less beuroacratically stiffling. Seems clearance through major airfields' zones is not only commonplace but often takes light a/c directly overhead the field. OTOH, I recently read an article on the helicopter route that crosses Heathrow. There was a definite feeling that the learner driver expected SAMs to be used, at any time!

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx