[jhb_airlines] Kinetic SBS-1

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 20:00:51 +0100

I got the software running on my system and it's rather basic. In truth the
FPI radar display is a lot better as I suspect the SBS-1 has been mainly
written for spotters.

Apart from a rough coastline the display is blank. There is a waypoints text
file that you can bang in data and I've already added all the UK airports,
navaids and fixes (mostly from FSNav). At the moment all the objects I've
added come up in the same colour and I'd like to see these become
adjustable.

I've just run a test and took our masts.txt data from FSNav and it dropped
into the SBS-1 perfectly (after slight syntax tweaking).

There isn't a single bit of controlled airspace added so the display looks
too bleak. Same goes for restricted or prohibited areas etc etc. There are a
couple of .OUT (outline) files for drawing coastlines and airfield maps and
I altered the latter to add the airspace data for Belfast and IoM (again
using tweaked data from FSNav). I bit fiddly but it worked OK.

At the moment it's crude but it has potential. I've dropped an email to the
company to see what development they are doing in this area. I'd also like
to see the aircraft data tags look more like a real scope instead of all the
data being on one line. I know it's daft but I'm just too used to seeing
real radar displays and would like to see this stuff look just like the real
thing. Real screens aren't that hard to understand..

bones

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net