[jhb_airlines] Re: Kid with a new toy syndrome.

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:13 +0100 (BST)

On the pentax, there is a DOF scale on the lens which does a
similar (but probably less precise) job.  I always found DOF
important with my telephoto lenses, so I think DOF criticality is
a function of lens focal length, not film format.  The "standard"
lens being 85mm FL for two and a quarter square format, 50mm for
35mm and 105mm for my Kodak Brownie 4.5" x 3.25".

Standard lenses of course aren't standard to the brain, only to
the proportional dimensions of depth of field. If I take a
picture of someone at a "nice full length portrait" distance,
there is always this little person standing in an acre of green
lawn!  For this reason, I frequently use my 105mm lens as a
standard lens.  In fact 105mm lenses were sold as "Portrait
lenses" in my youth.

Lets start a new mailing list - photography!! <vbg>