[jhb_airlines] Re: JHB037 hours and VATSIM

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:13:43 +0100

Never been one for desertion; SWMBO doesn't permit it!

I had to overcome feelings of disloyalty to investigate Vatsim but I see it as complimentary to FPI, not an alternative, so that's OK.

Gerry Winskill

*From:* Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
*To:* jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Date:* Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:01:07 +0100

Peter,
Many thanks, I'll go back and re download, later this evening. Hope to be able to join some of your VFR MP sessions, as "sold" by Tom, if your lot will have me. Do you use Fsmeteo? If so, do you, like me, fly VFR only if the weather permits?

We use the weather which comes down from Vatsim. It is usually fairly current, so yes, if we can't fly, we can't fly, although we do fly in marginal conditions when real world VFR pilots wouldn't!. We got a rosette one evening from Birmingham when we were flying there as a group and when we called "inbound" he gave us visibility of 3 Km. We asked what the weather was at Coventry, he reported that it was about 7Km, so we diverted there. He promptly opened up Coventry to receive us! Doing a diversion on Vatsim is different!

Everyone is welcome, but please don't all desert JHB. We are much quieter in general - only 2 or 3 members flying on club nights. Only when we have an "Event" do we get a reasonable turnout of 7 or 8.