[jhb_airlines] Re: JHB037 hours and VATSIM

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:00 +0100 (BST)

> *From:* Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
> *To:* jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> *Date:* Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:01:07 +0100
>
> Peter,
> Many thanks, I'll go back and re download, later this evening.
> Hope to be able to join some of your VFR MP sessions, as
> "sold" by Tom, if your lot will have me. Do you use Fsmeteo?
> If so, do you, like me, fly VFR only if the weather permits?

We use the weather which comes down from Vatsim.  It is usually
fairly current, so yes, if we can't fly, we can't fly, although
we do fly in marginal conditions when real world VFR pilots
wouldn't!. We got a rosette one evening from Birmingham when we
were flying there as a group and when we called "inbound" he gave
us visibility of 3 Km.  We asked what the weather was at
Coventry, he reported that it was about 7Km, so we diverted
there.  He promptly opened up Coventry to receive us! Doing a
diversion on Vatsim is different!

Everyone is welcome, but please don't all desert JHB.  We are
much quieter in general - only 2 or 3 members flying on club
nights.  Only when we have an "Event" do we get a reasonable
turnout of 7 or 8.