[jhb_airlines] JHB037 hours and VATSIM

  • From: "Phil Reynolds" <phil.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:46:49 +0100

Hi bones,

A few hours to add, it's been a while!

JHB037G EGKK EGCC 1437 1534 00:57
Route - <LAM4M> N57 WELIN T420 TNT <DAYN2A>

JHB037H EHAM EGLL 1346 1443 00:57
Route - <VALKO1S> UL980 LOGAN <LAM3A>

JHB037J EGLL EHAM 1608 1712 01:04
Route - <BPK6F> UM185 CLN UL620 <REDFA>

JHB037K EGCC EGSS 1713 1813 01:00
Route - <HON1R> HON <LOREL1J>

The first and last of these flights were made on VATSIM, the first time I've
tried the network...I must say I'm extremely impressed.  The new SB3
software was a doddle to install, just a single installation exe which loads
everything you need to get going.  Connection (once the settings are
inputted, a one time job) is a single click and you're away.
Controllers can be contacted by dialling the frequency directly into the
radio stack and for many aircraft (my PMDG 737 included) the transponder
also sets mode standby/charlie via the stack. No dropping out to menus or
external programs!
Weather is a great online bonus (which FPI is still sadly lacking) but the
main plus point between the two networks for me was the amount of
controllers/traffic.  For my last flight from EGCC to EGSS I was passed
through EGCC_GND, EGCC_APP, EGTT_CTR, ESSEX_APP, EGSS_TWR.  I was number 3
for departure at EGCC, had multiple TCAS targets during the cruise (not too
close to activate a warning though!!!) and number 3 for landing at EGSS
(scarily busy with constant controller chatter all the way down from the end
of the STAR).  I parked up on stand literally sweating!
However, what I was surprised (and very pleased) to find was that the
controllers weren't as intimidating as I had imagined them to be.  It's
taken me ages to finally take the plunge with VATSIM due to the various
tales/rumours I've heard in the past of VATSIM being full of professional
pilots/controllers with no room for the true armchair pilot to fit in.  This
I've found to be completely wrong.  The only exception I've found was on my
first ever flight on VATSIM (JHB037G above) where I had a French controller
running EGKK_GND.  He seemed intent on blurting clearances out so fast that
every pilot I heard had to request a "say again?" on at least one occasion.
This was the only exception however, and I will certainly be doing a lot
more flying on VATSIM in the future.

Of course, I shall still try to make as many FPI Wednesday evenings as well!

Cheers

Phil Reynolds
JHB037