[jhb_airlines] I've Seen The Light; perhaps

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 10:52:06 +0100

Last night I seemed to have made progress, in persueing the quest for smooth and unblurred running of FS9.
Switching off non essential programmes had no discernible effect.
Reducing the enabled scenery by about 50% was equally unproductive.
When I'd shut down my anti virus programme and disconnected from Broadband there was a noticeable improvement.
Since I hadn't completed my test run before lights out, I saved the flight.

This morning the re loaded flight is running even better; well until I write this email it is.
Problem. Why, since I've got the antivirus running again and am connected to Broadband.

Which leads me to the stunning conclusion that if it runs best when not sharing facillities with undefined programmes, it would produce optimum performance if running on a computer dedicated solely to FS9.
I'm sure we've been here before but, this time, I have the opportunity to put it to the test.

With a new PC on order I'm considering loading on to it just FS9, FSNav and anything that surfaces as unavoidable. I'll retain my, hoprefully repaired but reduced spec, existing computer for everything else, including the retained version of FS9, FSNav, ActiveSky, etc. Only this PC will have Broadband access. Any FS associated progs will be downloaded onto this unit and "installed" versions transferred to the new PC, via my LaCie external HD.
If I don't connect the new one to Broadband, then I don't need either ZoneAlarm or antivirus prog; anything transferred from the old one will first have been scanned.

In the case of ActiveSky I can load a snapshot on Old and transfer to New; I think

For MP sessions I'll continue to use the old PC, since IFR flights seem to flaunt blurries less blatantly.

Any comments from those more knowledgeable?
If someone screams to network them, then I'll have to start remedying my total ignorance of the subject.