[jhb_airlines] Re: IoM Civil Aviation

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:10:32 +0100

This has been going on for years - the idea originally having been voiced by
Manx Airlines.

It started off with a simple idea to have a separate aircraft register to
the UK - the argument being that the IoM is not part of GB or the UK. On
speaking to the CAA about it the latter then pointed out that if we wanted
an IoM register then, legally, we would need our own aviation authority and
Accident Investigation Branch because the CAA and AAIB are UK bodies and
their remit doesn't extend outside this area. They then dropped a bombshell
by suggesting that all IoM based aircraft were technically illegally
registered and that no IoM based operator could have an AOC.

The result of this was for Manx Airlines to operate using British Midland's
AOC and the two local charter companies had to operate off the back of
Northern Executive Aviation's and Woodgate's AOC respectively. It is the
reason why EuroManx cannot have a UK AOC but I don't know the reason why
they ended up with Austrian ones.

As for local aircraft the CAA relented and allowed IoM based aircraft to
retain their UK registrations because all of them had to go to the UK for
maintenance anyway.

It will be something to keep an eye on..