[jhb_airlines] Re: Innsbruck

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 13:05:13 +0100

Yep 5000ft QNH is right and the airfield elevation is 1900ft. So, once you
reach ABSAM at 5000ft you are actually at 3100ft above the runway and 7nm
out - although going in the wrong direction. Assuming you keep to the 2nm
turn radius that will give you a track distance of 10.1nm from ABSAM to
touchdown on 26 (the worst case).

So, if you are visual at ABSAM and start the turn AND descent right away,
you are only about 70ft above the normal 3 degree glidepath. However you
ain't got any glidepath guidance and the tendency is not to descend fast
enough in these cases so fall back on the rule of thumb here - set ROD as 5
x groundspeed (IAS is reasonable if you don't have much wind or can't get
your G/S data).

I'll make the point here that I have been using the charts at
http://www.firwien.at/text/aviation_text.htm to get my data and they aren't
kosher IAP plates. However they seem to be quite good - especially the
Visual Approach chart at http://www.firwien.at/charts/lowi/pfslowi_vac.pdf.

Now a bit of a change as I've only just read the written procedures. Here's
what it says when you reach ABSAM and decide to go visual:

"When proper visual reference is established, make right turn with max
radius 0,9nm (eg 159kt IAS with 25° bank).
For runway 26 end right turn on HDG 279 and then turn left for final.
Obstacles on ground up to 2093 on final.

For runway 08 continue on HDG 254, between the crossing high-voltage power
line and the Brennerautobahn (motorway from the north to the south) join
right hand downwind runway 08 with HDG 264. Enter base at own discretion but
before the power line splits in two. Obstacles on ground up to 2973 feet."

With that steeper turn radius it changes what I've said above a bit. From
ABSAM it only gives you 8.4nm track to touchdown for 08 so, at 5000ft, you
are about 575ft above the normal 3 degree approach. Not a great deal and
certainly no problem if you are going all the way round to 08.

The only thing to worry about is the comment that high ground rises to
2093ft on final. Normally it is custom for airfield objects to be published
with heights AMSL but 2093 sounds odd to me as it is only 193ft above the
airfield. I think the author has mixed datum heights and I'll bet this is
2093 QFE - corrected it would be 3993ft QNH. This is were I could do with
looking at the proper charts as it is this sort of confusion that kills
pilots.