[jhb_airlines] Re: Impending Monitor failure

  • From: "Mike Lucas" <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:45:01 +0100

John

Just before my recent holiday I had a rush of blood and splashed out on 2 LCD
monitors.  Nothing on the grand scale that you are considering - just a 17" and
15".  After a fair bit of research, I opted for ViewSonics (a VP171s and a
VE500)
from www.overclockers.co.uk.

I have not been disappointed with my choice - delivery from OC was red-hot, and
not a single dead pixel on either monitor.  Colours look pretty good to me, but
I do
not have the same critical requirements (or eye) as you.

You mention that bigger screens have lower refresh rates.  I think you mean
response rate.  All TFT screens are designed to operate at 60 Hz refresh rate.
The response rate is critical though, since a slow response rate (> 25ms) can
give
ghosting in fast-action games (the contributors to the Hardware forum on OC
seem to be the experts here), and certainly the larger TFT monitors do in
general
have slower response rates.  Both my new monitors are 16 ms.

The users of OC are, I believe, pretty demanding of product quality and I
reckon
the kit they stock reflects their customers' expectations.  They stock a much
smaller range than, say, Dabs, but it's quality stuff.  I suggest you have a
look at
what they have.  I've just had a quick glance at their range of larger TFT
monitors
- they have a superb Neovo (unfortunately out of stock) which would probably be
my first choice.  From my own recent experience I can recommend ViewSonic,
and I see OC have three larger models, including a very nice VP201S 20" with 16
ms response rate if you're feeling flush ... <g>

HTH

Mike