[jhb_airlines] Impending Monitor failure

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:25:39 +0100

It looks like my monitor is about to go pop. For the last couple of
hours it has gone through a routine of flashing and then cutting out. I
pulled the back off to tweak the various knobs but without success. I
may have to drag in the standby 15" unit from next door - which will be
a shock after this 21" beast.

Now that prices of LCD screens are down quite a bit I may move in that
direction. Sony no longer seem to make big CRT monitors so I guess my
G500 was the last of a dying breed. A pity in a way because it's been a
superb monitor and its only fault was gradual brightening with age - now
to a very unacceptable level.

LCD's seem to be good enough for FS use now but there's a limit. Bigger
screens have lower refresh rates - and so it may be worth staying with a
19" screen for now rather than jump to the 20". I'm slowly going through
the reviews but every reviewer seems to have his/her favourites and
there isn't a clear winner right now.

Any feedback would be appreciated. My only stipulation is that colour
accuracy is high for the photo work I do..

HC@xxxxxxxxxx
http://fsaviation.net