[jhb_airlines] Re: Idiot's guide to Linux

  • From: "franklyn fisher" <ff006c5886@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:38:23 -0000

Peter
You also could of gone to your local WHSmith, and bought one of the Linux magazines. Even PCAnswers gives away a distro now and again.

One thing you will have to do, you will have to burn the ISO file to disc, using , either Nero burning, or the freeware Deepburner XP Pro, this creates a bootable CD.

Either that , or pay for someone to send your a ready to use disc.

Do a search for Linux, and you will be unindated.

Frank
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*From:* Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
*To:* "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
*Date:* Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:22:51 +0000

I was amazed to have 8 takers for my short note on Linux.  I find that
very encouraging.  You may not take your curiosity any further, but at
least you have shown some interest in the dark side ;-)

If anyone does want to follow up in any more detail, or even gets as far
as trying an installation of Linux, I'd be happy to provide any advice I
can.  I'm by no means a Linux expert, but I have got a reasonable bit of
experience under my belt.  To be honest, I reckon the technical skills
that many of you display in coding scenery, panels, whole aircraft, and
in some of the more arcane aspects of Windows, are more than enough to
cope with Linux. The uber-geek image of a Linux user is rather out-of-date.

Oh - and a Merry Christmas to you all.  Your collective and individual
company and banter over the year has brightened up many a dull moment.

Mike L