[jhb_airlines] Idiot's guide to Linux

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:35:22 +0000

If anyone wants the real low down on Linux  here it is:

Install it (about 20 mins)

It works.

The end.

I've only once had to fart around with drivers and that only took 10 mins to sort. Never had any virus trouble. It boots up quickly, etc etc etc.

The only problems I have with Linux I that I like to install lots of programs. If you are running a windows emulator that is fine, its just like windows, however if you want a pure linux one, because it was developed by geeks who are 45 and live at home with their mothers, you have to type in some boring command line stuff....which really doesnt interest me.

If you are ok with typing a few words and file names everytime you want to install summat you will get on just fine.

I know that isn't quite the considered and definitive guide that Mike will have provided but the point I'm trying to make is it isn't something to be scared of. It simply WORKS, its the only way to describe it, if you want to do something, it will probably do it, it will certainly be for free and chances are its already installed.

Give it a go, with a live disk there is nothing to loose, set a whole linux system up from a CD.... take the disk out and hey presto its all gone (bar about a 100kb file on your HDD)

ATB,

Alex