[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO session 24-09-08

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:28:36 +0100

Fortunately only two of us are in that position.

The main difficulty with anything derived from photographs is appearance on screen. The colours have been changed several times, so that they look correct on my FSX machine setup. If seen on this machine the colours are not the same.

I was down there a few days ago, specifically to see how the real world colours agree with those on my monitors. I was surprised how close they are. OTOH if I displace the scenery to the Instrument panel monitor, immediately below the THTG screens, the buildings have a more pinkish cast.

One very pleasant surprise is that Ted's terminal apes the real buildings in that the apparent colour changes as the sun's position changes. Or as cloud affects it.

One of the areas that doesn't show up in Mike's shot is the roadside view of the terminal. He's gone to a great deal of trouble to get the stained glass windows accurately portrayed. His King Willams and Castle Rushen aren't in shot either.

One area where he scores heavily, in comparison to most other current object designers, is the low framerate impact his objects have. It takes him considerably longer to get this effect but it's worth the effort. The overall fps impact is influenced more by the objects not created by Ted. Th other buildings play a part but AI is the biggest culprit. In particular, the metal cargo sheds are stock items. The ex Manx hangars were produced by yet another very co-operative designer. Of site, the least representative are those Tony used to locate at the Strix and shoe factories.

Overall, the scenery compares very favourably with any of the various Payware airfields on offer. When you consider that this was the 50th FSX airfield he'd provided, with another currently awaiting testing by Mike and myself, his output has been astonishing. I know the tremendous number of hours he's put in, whilst running a one man business, playing golf and running in international full marathon events. What I don't know is how, as a married man, he gets away with it!

Nice screenshot.
I'm quite impressed with the IoM scenery considering it was created from
little more than photographs. For most users it will be quite acceptable but
I find a disadvantage in that having worked at the place for so long the
very slight differences in scale or proportion create a far greater reaction
in my mind that something's not quite right. What I think is happening is
that he's got it so close to the real layout that it registers in my head
that it's Ronaldsway but then there must be something going on in my memory
cells because I get a strong signal that it's not right. Weird.

The building colours are slightly out too - more a mushroom colour (yellow
blending towards brown) than any tone of red:

http://www.island-images2.co.uk/Aircraft/Air08/GD140921.html
http://www.island-images2.co.uk/Aircraft/2005/DK071319.html

By comparison the metal cargo sheds are a much deeper colour:

http://www.island-images2.co.uk/Aircraft/2007/FA111133.html

http://woodair.net