[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO basics

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 05:02:41 EDT

ernielaycock1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  Bones,
I have become a member of IVAO but stopped there.The software is  where I
lose out.At my age it is difficult to learn new stuff.What I need  is
something like this :-
1.What is the very first thing  I need to do to get on the screen ?
2.What next ?
3.And so on !!!
I don't even know how to connect to IVAO !! I don't  want to be a nuisance to
anyone  either.
Cheers
Ernie

Ernie,

I'm in the process of going through all this, so let me know if I can help.
What I think you need to do -
(a) Download and install the software, including the Eye of IVAO. The
supplied instructions are good. When this is done you should see a Teamspeak
icon
and an Eye icon on your screen, and when you run FS you should see IvAp on  the
add-ons menu. Note when you install the MTL library use only the  default
aircraft to start, you can add others later.
(b) Run the Eye of IVAO, you can see what's going on here, very similar to
Servinfo if you've got that.
(c) Run Teamspeak, go into settings, switch the default microphone input
from voice activated to push to talk.

At this stage you are ready to go.

(d) Read the manual, its 90 odd pages, but only certain parts are essential
to start.
(e) When you are ready to connect -
(i) Plan a short VFR flight well away from any activity, somewhere that you
are familiar with. I use the FS flight planner and print out the route for
referenc when flying.
(ii) Follow the manual instructions. (I use a one page check list here,
compiled from the manual)

You can monitor your progress on the Eye, you will see yourself appear once
you have connected, and your flight plan details once you have entered it.
During the flight you will see your status changing, and your position on the
map. (the F9 key updates the Eye)

Useful stuff to remember -

Check you have "3 greens" after you hit the CONN button
Hitting the top RH button twice gets you into the flight plan filing  system,
chapter 9 of the manual takes you through this, but once you've done one  its
easy. Once you filed your plan the FP light changes cokour.
Set squawk switch to active (green) when on the active for take-off, and
back to standby (amber) after leaving the active.
You can press the TCAS button to view other traffic, chapter 19 of the  manual
Tune your radio to Unicom 122.80, you will see messages from other pilots
appear in the IVAO box.

I've got loads more stuff to explore myself, but I hope this at least gets
you started. Once you become familiar with it the overall context is  similar
to that you have already mastered on Pilot's Club, you just have to  learn to
press different buttons to do the same job.

Final piece of advice. Take your time, and take it in easy stages.

Frank T.