[jhb_airlines] IVAO and FSX

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 21:52:12 +0000

It's very easy to take what we have for granted. My two and a half hour flight from Rome to London City started with lightning and loads of turbulence, as my SID took me just below some towering cumulus (?).

After crossing the Alps there was a bit of a boring patch until in the very busy Paris Control area. The approach and landing to City's rwy 28 were the icing on the cake.

Tony Meredith and Ted Andrews have been talked into doing a version of London City, since the VFR UK version is a bit of a framerate killer. In the interim I'm using a version I've cobbled together. It uses the Default AFD etc, plus the terminal from the UK VFR and nearby buildings, plus the Docklands Light Railway, from the payware London 2003 that I bought, yonks ago. The approach to 28 was with a background of the very acceptable Default Canary Wharf and buildings in the nearby City. Added to that, against the skyline, were construction cranes, chimneys etc. It was incredibly lifelike and atmospheric, into the setting sun, with today's slight haze.

It's staggering how far we've come since FS5! Back in those days I don't imagine any of us thought it would be possible to access the sort of experience we now enjoy, on a personal computer. My ex 747 driver mate finds our scenery to be far better than he had access to on the BA simulators.