[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO and AI

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 17:59:46 +0000

If I see an AI aircraft overtake me on finals, I press on. How do I know it's AI? Because it has a ruddy great label over the top, telling me so. By the same token the IVAO on line aircraft carry IVAO labels. Both these markings are when in visual contact, through the windscreen. FSC displays are merely a backup.

Your intention to put an aircraft off line would only be tested if the pilots, without whom the ATC Simulation couldn't have purpose, made conflicting changes, when faced with conflicting AI. But I keep saying that I don't EVER, do it and I certainly don't assume that I'm alone in taking this sensible approach.

I've long thought how depressing it must be for controllers to sit with no traffic to handle. Some of those of us who play the pilot role find it equally depressing to fly in almost aircraft free skies. Other than at Ronaldsway I can't think of the last occasion when I made a UK IVAO landing and found other fliers either in the circuit or on the ground.

If I was always faced with the prospect of landing at aircraft free airfields, then I'd simply give up on line flying.

I agree that a potential for confusing controllers exists, if there happens to be one on seat. In practice I haven't come across a situation where this has happened.

"On line it really isn't difficult to spot one from the other. In FSC they are in different colours. Better still, one press of the button and AI ceases to appear on FSC."

What if pilots don't have FSC?

"I guess an easy way to test the nuisance value, or otherwise, of AI would be to offer ATC the option of telling me when they consider I have it in use....."

I would assume you have AI running if you take action contrary to ATC
instructions. As IVAO is an ATC online simulation I wouldn't hesitate to ask
a pilot to leave the session if he put AI priority ahead of IVAO traffic.

http://woodair.net