[jhb_airlines] IVAO and AI

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:55:17 +0000

We've aired the subject of running AI during on line sessions in the past. Since I hate empty aprons I'm amongst those in favour of AI. As I see it there are only two points against its use. The first is whether it imposes an unacceptable performance hit on the user's system. The second is the theoretical one that its use complicates life for controllers. The second is only valid if the user lets it happen. If I find myself impeded by an AI aircraft, whilst receiving ATC instructions, I either ignore the AI, or switch it off, temporarilly. So, ATC is affected by it only if I do something daft, by letting my actions be influenced by it. Provided I keep to my side of the bargain it's impossible for ATC to know whether I'm using AI or not.

Now things seem to have changed and we could be moving to Nanny IVAO interference. Although I always have both my AI sliders at 80%, there are times, as I go on line, when I neither see it on the ground, nor in the FSC display. What seems to be happening, with the latest version of IVAP, is that simply firing up IVAP, via the FSX Add-ons menu item, sets both AI sliders to zero. It doesn't have to be connected to the server for this to happen. Once spotted and it's easy enough to re set the sliders and recover the AI. However, have I missed IVAO announcing that they've done this? I haven't seen it and really am not in favour of any third party programme interfering with any of my FSX settings.

Has anyone else spotted this one?