[jhb_airlines] IVAO VFR Ops + Controllers

  • From: Alex Barrett <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:43:44 +0100

Hi Guys,

I've been speaking to Gareth Richardson (IVAO UK Head chappie) about the lack of education on VFR matters from some of the more senior controllers.

This came up as I was participated to take part in the VA committee for IVAO UK, I thought I'd post his response here as I know its been mentioned a few times in the JHB ranks.

The specific problem I mentioned to him was IVAO controllers demanding VFR aircraft outside of their airspace limits, contact them for, what should be, a IFR service:

"As for the VFR, thank you for brining this to my attention. It is mostly due to the fact that people are so inexperienced when it comes to VFR and don’t really know what to do. We do plan to eradicate this problem - We are in the final stages of creating our brand new ATC training scheme, where members will have structured lesson based training – VFR will be one of the main topics we want to tackle."

Which sounds like it could be a positive step forward!

Alex

--
Alex Barrett
Turbine Sound Studios