[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO Application

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:13:53 +0100

That was quick!
I've just received an IVAO invitation to join JHB VA.
I was so surprised that I accepted, when I normally never volunteer for anything.

Thanks for arranging it.

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

I have just fired off an application to add JHB to the IVAO VA list.

It's a tight call with just the bare minimum 10 active pilots listed but my
thanks to Colin Wilding for adding to the numbers. Although 16 pilots have
registered with IVAO three have been taken off the active list through not
flying in the last three months and three have zero hours.

Until the application is approved I suggest we do not use our JHB ID's on
IVAO and just stick to a registration. I don't honestly know what other jet
jockeys use for callsigns if not flying for a VA.

Once we get approval for JHB to work in IVAO we need to collectively fly
five hours per week. I guess that is under the JHB banner so if you log in
for a VFR flight and use a registration as your callsign I suspect this
doesn't count.

When it comes to filling in the flight plan we'll have to be more careful in
IVAO than PCI. If changing from your JHB callsign to a registration (or vice
versa) then remember to change the callsign on the plan. I know this doesn't
happen much on PCI but I'd guess that a controller on IVAO seeing an
aircraft pop up with a data tag showing JHB738 is not going to be happy if
the aircraft then calls up using G-BURK or whatever. I know in PCI that you
can only change the callsign before you connect to the system and if it is
wrong you have to log out. I don't know if the same applies in IVAO.

I've updated the JHB pages to reflect current changes. The News page now has
links to additional Route Packs and the Online pages are revised to show
information on all three ATC systems. The IVAO page and the Callsigns page
also have IVAO Status Indicators to show if any JHB pilot is flying online,
if any UK controllers are active and a JHB Active Aircrew listing (subject
to our being approved).

One final point. Squawks in IVAO are more critical than in PCI. VFR squawks
like 1200, 2000 and 7000 change the way an aircraft appears on radar as does
selecting standby, Mode C (or On) and Ident. Before you connect to IVAO make
sure you change your transponder to the correct setting. These are:

7000 for VFR flight in the UK
2000 for VFR flight in Europe
1200 for VFR flight in USA

For an IFR flight make sure than NONE of the above are selected. I suggest
using 4567 as that is a little used EGNS squawk code and will not trigger a
VFR flag on radar. This is just for connection because you should be given
an active squawk to use once you ask for an ATC clearance.

FS defaults to 1200 on start up so make a habit of changing the squawk as
soon as you get started and run through your COM/NAV checklist. If you
aren't using a checklist yet I suggest it is fast becoming a good idea for
online work.

http://fsaviation.net