[jhb_airlines] IVAO

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Airlines Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:06:05 +0100

Many thanks to everyone who jumped in at Ronaldsway last night. It was good,
it was enlightening and it was certainly helpful in sorting some things out.
It was also good fun because the system worked far better than PCI.

On the plus side there seems to be no problem with aircraft on the ground.
Everyone was at apron height and it didn't matter whether they were using my
scenery, default scenery, FSX or FS9. Somehow IVAP adjusted for all the
differing values and plonked everyone squarely at ground level. Damned
clever stuff that.

Secondly there was little or no apparent lag. This was excellent for
controlling VFR circuit traffic as everyone could see each other. To get two
aircraft onto final for 26 and another two onto final for 21 with another
aircraft departing from 26 was all so easy. It just couldn't have been done
in PCI because the lag would have prevented the all too necessary visual
contact between aircraft that makes VFR fast and furious. I loved that bit.

Also, mostly, everyone saw the correct aircraft type flown by other pilots.
I say almost because there were a couple of oddities in that Paul saw Mike
Brook as an A321 instead of a Cherokee - but nobody else did - and there
were a couple of other strange transformations. Generally though it seemed
to work and it's clever because I don't know how IVAO have got their library
aircraft working across two FS versions.

Within a few minutes of plugging in the GB Teamspeak server failed and we
all had to rapidly jump to other servers. Despite a huge number on the DE
server I plugged into (I think it was 66) performance just was not an issue.
Neither was the gathering of aircraft on the apron at Ronaldsway - no pilots
had lag issues through density of traffic.

Pilots may have noticed that I wasn't actually controlling the traffic in
the strict sense - no vectoring or height control. That is correct for VFR
flight and it gives VFR pilots more flexibility and more responsibility. For
most of the evening I just told you about other aircraft and left it up to
each pilot to take the necessary avoidance action. Even when back in the
circuit with five aircraft aiming for two runways separation was simply a
matter of me deciding who was No1 to land and asking the following pilots to
position behind. Sometimes I split circuit direction to provide an extra
mile or two but I think you could all see that it was safe and that it
allowed a lot of aircraft to operate in a short period of time. VFR is
highly flexible - helped by calm winds and a second runway to bring into
action.

Had you all been IFR you would have needed vectoring and positioning with a
minimum 4nm separation. That doesn't provide for high landing rates. VFR is
the opposite and provided the visibility is good and people can follow one
another a lot more aircraft can be pushed into a small amount of airspace.
That is why we can get 200 arrivals in a three hour period during TT Week
with no real worries about density. In truth the only thing stopping a
higher flow rate is that you simply run out of radio time to talk to more
aircraft.

http://fsaviation.net