[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 10:42:13 +0100

Maximum range of a VOR is 200nm and that's on a good day. Flog over to
Iceland or go from Jersey direct to Santander and you quickly drop out of
any navaid coverage.

Most planners for FS are a joke because they are functionally limited. If
you ask for a route from A to B they most try to find the closest navaids or
fixes to a direct track and then produce a pretty flight plan based on that.
This is why so many Dutch pilots coming to the UK ended up routing over East
Anglia because the planner would lock on to Marham TACAN - whereas in real
life civil aircraft keep as far away from there as possible. Shawbury TACAN
(SWB) also features a lot in these guessed routes if going to Ireland but
civil aircraft can't use TACAN's.. It was abysmal.

Any planner that can only scan for point source aids is useless. Real
aircraft don't do this - they fly in AIRWAYS - and only a planner that knows
where airways are can provide anything like a sensible route. Of course
planner don't know which airways are one way or seasonal but that's just
part of the fun of being told you can't go that way.

In the end the only sure planning tools are those that know all this
information. UKRoute does as it gets data direct from the CAA SRD
publication. Routefinder is about 99% accurate too. I don't know about Eye
or VRoute but I presume they use the same data source. Personally I would
get the route from one of these sources and then bang it into FSNav or FSC.
If they try to tell you different then tell them to get stuffed.