[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:22:54 +0100

Sorry I can't join you but I'm currently mid flight, from this afternoon's Keflavik destination to Bristol; of which more anon.

I dithered over doing it on IVAO but, inexcusably, chickened out! I couldn't see a way of getting through without tangling with either ot the two centres; Shannon or London Centre. A bad case of LMF!

Preparing a flightplan in FSC produced another showstopper. No problem with the outbound flight but the return, just a mirror image, was tagged as unacceptablr by FSC ????? What with an iffy flightplan and fighter command protecting the skies, I've taken the cowards way and am a third of the way of doing it off line. Must try harder! In fact it's not the proceedures that I find daunting; I'm reasonably confident I can deal with those and with the aircraft. The offputting nature of my first attempt was down simply to the speed of delivery and distortion of that evening's Scottish control transmissions. We've got used to the speach mannerisms of our own group, whilst being relatively willing to shout out if we can't hear.

I'm doing this return flight in the Citation, to check on FSC's TCAS. Using the B757 it was self triggering again, after a decent period without, since I reinstalled FSC. On this trip the Citation isn't doing it. I suspect it might be caused by aircraft that have several liveries and titles built in. The one not tied to the model being flown might be triggering the TCAS.
Another investigation looms!

Back to Bristol Xtreme. The lighting there is so bright that, at night, it excludes the runway, completely. The question has been raised on the UK2000 forum. The reason has been put down to a limitation of FSX that prevents the use of decent lighting. Bovine Excrita! A visit to other third party sceneries doesn't show the same effect. Although the FSX, Xtreme, versions of Stansted, Gatwick and Glasgow are bright, they are tolerably so. Therefore the problem is confined to Bristol and can't be blamed on MS. I tend to be put off visiting the UK200O forums. The posters are a bit too sycophantic for my tastes. I can't see the need for such gushing gratitude, for something for which we've all paid.

Gerry Winskill

bones wrote:

Logged on for an hour or so if anyone needs to test - or go for a little
flight..

http://fsaviation.net