[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:21:09 +0100

I have the radar range set to 100nm although I suspect IVAO says it should
be set for the range your position is allowed to control to. I beg to differ
because range is about 100nm in real life and it allows you to see potential
traffic way before they call you.

Squawk is more critical in IVAO because it alters the data tag on the radar
screen. Because some of you had been flying in Jamaica on Wednesday the
squawk was still set to 1200 - which is not recognised in the UK as a VFR
squawk. The radar screen therefore shows you as IFR traffic with an IFR data
tag.

If flying VFR in IVAO remember to set the correct squawk before plugging in.
For the UK it is 7000. For Europe (including Ireland) it is 2000 and for the
US it is 1200.

Once Gerry changed to 7000 the data tag instantly altered to a VFR tag -
which shows all controllers that they can mostly ignore the aircraft. If the
aircraft started flying towards controlled airspace at a height that would
indicate a possible penetration then ATC would watch more closely. If
penetration seems inevitable then the controller will take action and ask
you to call him via a text message - something we could do with in real life
as we can only sit back and watch - and vector our known traffic around the
bogie.