[jhb_airlines] Re: IVAO

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:42:09 +0100

It's quite a change from the way we had slipped into using PCI, having to adapt to IVAO's understandable discipline. Yesterday I logged on, when about to start testing Tony Meredith's mods to his coming version of Barrow. Having done that, I booted up Servinfo and spotted Bones in the seat. Though voice comms were excluded by his being more than 40 miles away, it was a pleasant surprise to get his reminder to turn on the transponder transmit key; another one to go on the checklist. Then Servinfo pointed me at a chap flying from the Scillies to, of all places Barrow! You don't often see Barrow appear on Servinfo. I was quite pleased that we managed to keep each other in the picture using the Unicom text line, then spot him on approach, whilst I was orbitting over Millom wind farm. The only snag with Unicom is the need to think of the next announcement, say finals, ahead of the game, so that it's typed in beforehand leaving just the enter key to hit, when appropriate.

When Tom and I were doing some testing, a couple of nights ago, we avoided the no no of chatting on Unicom, by using the Chat boxes. Quite good when the way in has been cracked.

The icing on the cake, yesterday, was the Scillies sourced ATR42 appearing in my FSC window, which I'd opened in case it would show. Now if only I knew how to increase the range at which it picks up IVAO traffic, to something like that at which it shows my AI.

My enthusiasm for IVA grows daily. I now log on for most flying. The skies seem far less empty!

Gerry Winskill

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 09/08/2007 20:14:27 GMT Daylight Time, bones@xxxxxxx writes:

    Thanks John.

    It looks like TS is similar to Roger Wilco in that the last person
    on a
    channel is automatically given channel authority. That means you
    become
    responsible for updating the ATIS for the station you have logged
    in to
    <vbg>..  When I logged back on to EGNS_APP you were still tuned in
    so I
    couldn't update the information.

    Something else to learn..

    bones

Hi Bones,
I was just testing my IVAO installation and going through the manual to try it when I saw you at EGNS on the Eye. Managed a brief contact, then I got called away, sorry. I guessed you were having TS problems anyway. The next job is to write a series of connect instructions on a single sheet of paper, rather than wading through chapters in the manual! Frank T.