[jhb_airlines] Re: ISDG A320 Problem

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 22:51:47 +0100

I agree about the difficulty of modifying the Aircraft.cfg, on a plane like the A320. I was thinking of the EMB170, when I wrote that.

Although the A320 has what is claimed to be a manual based on the real thing, it's clearly far too small to be an accurate copy. It contains no coverage of the Autothrottle, source of one of the regular problems. Nor does it contain any coverage of those areas where the software is almost designed to come into conflict with manual operation. In short it doesn't cover either the potential problem areas or actions to be taken when the areas are entered.
Having said that, I'll check their site, in case there are any updates.

The problem with fiddling in the aircraft.cfg file for these complex
aircraft is that you may kill some interdependencies that stop the aircraft
operating. It's no secret that PMDG and several others use non standard
calls in FS to bypass the limitations of the avionics in the sim - which
means the aircraft, panel and gauges are all interwoven and untweakable.

It reminds me of the China Airlines Airbus crash several years ago. The
aircraft had to go around from an approach and the crew hit the TOGA button.
The Airbus will automatically go into a max Alpha climb from this but the
crew got alarmed by the high nose angle and thought the aircraft was going
to stall. They pushed the stick forward to reduce climb angle but the
computer recognised the input and corrected for this by increasing nose up
trim. In the end the aircraft hit trim limit and did indeed stall at about
1500ft right over the runway.

If FS designers are trying to build this sort of avionics intelligence into
FS then only those familiar with these systems are going to be able to fly
the aircraft. Many real world pilots never made the transition from
conventional to glass cockpit systems and I am sure the same will apply in
FS too. The only way to understand these aircraft fully is to forget
everything you know about conventional aircraft and study the flight manual.
Having said that I am sure many people could fly these aircraft quite well
for most of the time but, like the real world, it is when you get into an
unusual situation that you hit problems. In this case basic instinct has to
be forgotten and you have to know correct system recovery methods.

I've been quite impressed how FS has developed over the years but it is now
verging on serious system emulation. This isn't a bad thing but it means the
user can no longer hop into the aircraft for a quick jolly. To fly such
aircraft properly means a lot of time dedicated to system operation and LOTS
of practise. In effect you have to become a one aircraft pilot just as in
the real world. Many FS users don't do this and learn enough about the
aircraft to just about get from A to B. If anything odd happens during the
flight then they instantly jump into unknown territory and things rapidly
start unravelling.. <vbg> At least we have the ability to hit the pause
button whilst we reach for the manual!

bones

-----Original Message----- From: jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gerry Winskill Sent: 04 July 2006 19:30 To: JHB AIRLINES Subject: [jhb_airlines] ISDG A320 Problem

Last week I mentioned the problem of the A320's Autothrottle still keeping hold, with both A/T and Autopilot long since disengaged. Last night, half way through a 4 hour flight, it climbed to 48,000' even though the AP's altitude setting was at 32,000', where the a/c had previously been flogging along quite steadilly. Disengaging Autopilot didn't allow me to recover to stable flight and a flameout followed, during one of the descent phases. All engines refused to re start. Methinks the designers have managed to design in some of the real aircraft's determination to save the pilot from his own actions, with disastrous results. Anyone any ideas on how to make it less sophisticated? Perhaps using the B737's Aircraft.cfg might be a start?

Meanwhile, looking for something with a similar cruise speed, and just
having read a review of the real aircraft, I downloaded a Dreamwings
EMB170. Looks good but a bit aeleron sensitive at normal speeds but
becoming very insensitive at ILS speeds. Another meddling job in the offing.