[jhb_airlines] ISDG A320 Problem

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 19:30:06 +0100

Last week I mentioned the problem of the A320's Autothrottle still keeping hold, with both A/T and Autopilot long since disengaged. Last night, half way through a 4 hour flight, it climbed to 48,000' even though the AP's altitude setting was at 32,000', where the a/c had previously been flogging along quite steadilly. Disengaging Autopilot didn't allow me to recover to stable flight and a flameout followed, during one of the descent phases. All engines refused to re start.
Methinks the designers have managed to design in some of the real aircraft's determination to save the pilot from his own actions, with disastrous results. Anyone any ideas on how to make it less sophisticated? Perhaps using the B737's Aircraft.cfg might be a start?

Meanwhile, looking for something with a similar cruise speed, and just having read a review of the real aircraft, I downloaded a Dreamwings EMB170. Looks good but a bit aeleron sensitive at normal speeds but becoming very insensitive at ILS speeds. Another meddling job in the offing.