[jhb_airlines] Re: I/R procedures

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 15:46:27 +0100

I hasten to add that there were no detailed instructions in that email -
just a description of the procedure with only minimal detail on how to fly
it.

Needless to say it is imperative that the related IAP's need to be
downloaded and printed. All mine are mounted in a plastic wallet for easy
reference - it sits alongside the wallets containing the checklists for the
aircraft I flew and all are immediately to hand for use in FS.

I go one stage further too - I write on the plates. I still use a chinagraph
pencil but a good spirit based felt tip is just as good. First thing I write
on the plate after receiving the ATIS is an arrow showing wind direction -
and if you have the 3000ft wind so much the better. This gives you an
immediate indication of the drift effects for the holds and procedures and
you can roughly work out drift angles. I say roughly because Met wind isn't
100% accurate but at least it gives you a starting point.

Second thing I draw on the plate is my intended route from the stack to the
start of the IAP. This includes any teardrop patterns I may have to fly to
establish on a fixed inbound track. I also write down my DH/MDH for the
approach plus anything else I think pertinent - some plates can be difficult
to read so it may be worth marking bits that don't stand out.

I/R flying is high intensity mental work. Sometimes you may be given a
procedural approach you haven't planned for (ATC may switch runways) so the
ability to read a plate quickly and work out your new flight path is
essential. It need not be said that I/R flying requires most of your
concentration so you should already be completely familiar with the aircraft
your are flying, know how to manipulate the autopilot and Nav boxes quickly
and interpret the Nav gauges - you must fully understand the data being
presented from Nav 1, Nav 2, ADF and DME. You should also know the
performance of the aircraft, know it's holding and approach speeds and
generally be able to fly it without thinking - leaving all the mental load
to the procedures.

I will add a page to the JHB site for I/R work and upload a picture of the
Manx I/R Route.