[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:03 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Well - there is now one person I know who loves FSX and can get on with it.  My
7 year old son!
After our visit to the NEC on Saturday, He insisted I installed FSX on the
family computer the same
night.  I kept telling him "It won't work - the machine is not man enough for
it" Blow me if it
doesn't run better on that than on my somewhat higher spec office machine,
although from the same
stable (HP). It was hard to get him off it yesterday.

I have discovered that both FS9 and FSX will run two joysticks at the same
time.  So Joshua and I
spent the evening in a dual controlled aircraft in FSX, and i was able to teach
him the art of
trimming to avoid the balancing act of trying to stay level with a joystick and
FS's very sensitive
elevators.  Mind you, You should have seen him aerobatting the DC3 at the show.
It was also nice to
see the FSX stand equipped with about 16 consoles running FSX for people to
try, and using my
favourite joystick - the Logitech Extreme 3D.

I nearly bought a Saitek for a new project I have in mind, a floor mounted unit
for flying the Tiger
Moth, but I didn't in the end.  Now I've discovered that two joysticks will
work together on one PC,
I'm going to break down my old Sidewinder and make it into the floor mounted
unit, using the
Logitech for its buttons etc by my left hand. Eventually I may make a "button
box" by dismantling
bits from another old joystick.

Nice to meet up with Mike B, Fred, Alex and Tom Isaac, and the FSPC team,
though I missed Frank &
Mike L.  I was a bit dissapointed that FSPC hadn't got anything to play with,
but I suppose it would
have cost them a lot of effort and money to ship stuff over just for a couple
of days.

I wore a JHB Airlines name badge and it was Stephan that recognised me as a
JHB-er as I walked onto
their stand.

Peter