[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:35:03 +0000

If there is such a thing, he probably does have a "working class mind" but, being a politician, it will be one of several, with which he tries to fool the audience of the day. One of the traits exhibited by politicians is a belief that they can fool the populace. This grossly insults our intelligence, which probably offends me more than anything else. If Blair worked for a manufacturing, or even service, industry he would be regarded as an unreliable salesman. In that setting there's nothing worse than a plausible salesman who, to get the account, makes claims he knows can't possibly be met. Then leaves others to clear up behind him, whilst moving on to dupe another unsuspecting prospect. By now the more discerning have stopped accepting the claims but the politician is totally unaware that we're smart enough to get to that stage. Enter the insult.

The idea of a working class mind is a bit trickier than politicians assume. To be fair to Americans, something for which I'm not normally noted, they do seem to be imbued with the idea that if you happen to be born in an economically working class background, then it's your duty to try to escape. When I grew up, in Lancashire and in that sort of background, in the thirties and forties, anyone trying to escape was regarded as a" traitor to their class", "having ideas above their station in life", etc etc. The same suspicions fell on those with an interest in classical music. It hovered even on those who got a foot on the educational ladder. Once in employment and any job title that included the word "manager" might be thought to confirm all earlier suspicions; charge hand was OK but Foreman might raise a few eyebrows!

Moral values also seemed to be "class" effected. "Leaving home" was a big deal. "Why does he want to be doing that" was the immediate response to the suggestion that any male teenager might be contemplating it. For girls it was a no no, unless going into nursing. The suspicion, always, was that you must have some ulterior motive, probably of a sexual nature. The word "sexual" only comes across as intended if spoken with a Welsh accent!

In short, my own working class background indicated we all wore a self imposed strait jacket, probably borne less from resentment than fear of the unknown. It was definitely encouraged by politicians of the day, many of whom, as today, had never done a day's manual work in their lives.

Strangely, the phrase "a place for everyone and everyone in his place" was tacitly held by those at both ends of the economical ladder.

I very much doubt it's anything like that now, access to TV will have let in the light; plus more undesireable elements.

Who dragged this one up, at this hour of the morning?

But is he? He's still got a working class mind and background - it's only
the job, the salary and the pretensions that rise above this.