[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 19:22:00 -0000

"I don't really understand why people feel they are better than others,
because to be honest, there are very few people who deserve to consider
themselves as 'superior' beings (I'm talking doctors, firefighters,
nurses (as I'm told by my fiancee) etc"

Dangerous waters here. Harold Shipman really believed he was a superior
being...

When us riff raff started getting eddication a hundred years or so back it
changed things. Prior to that education was for higher classes and so it got
lumped in with everything else they had to learn - how to hold a knife and
fork, ride a horse, learn Greek, behave at the local ball and spear a pig
(or a local wench). For the rest of us the posh stuff got thrown out of the
syllabus and it was just the book learning that was shoved into our skulls.
Some of us were intelligent and thrived on this.

This saw the beginning of the professional classes - which could be
considered as intelligent but without the breeding. Subtle distinction and
possibly one that should have been spotted years ago. Early professionals
were indeed that - professional in work and also in outlook (Capt Mainwaring
in Dad's Army illustrated this perfectly). This has eroded as industry has
evolved, with the accent on intelligence to do the job well and little
consideration as to making the person professional in appearance and in
behaviour. This opens cracks...

We now have people in professional jobs who are absolute plonkers. Shipman
was one, someone who threw a fuse when he realised his power over life and
death. OK - he was exceptional as he was a nutter - but hands up anyone here
who knows a professional who, outside his job, is someone to avoid at all
costs? I've known some very odd pilots in my time, guys who are brilliant at
landing an airliner in a 60kt gale with half a wing missing but who are
totally inept the second they step out of the cockpit. Three I knew are in
jail, one tried to fake his own death by ditching an aircraft, hoping to
claim off the insurance. He's still missing but no-one knows if he survived
the ditching or not...

That's the problem with intelligence. It's very handy to have but it's not
balanced unless there are ethics, common decency and a sense or right and
wrong wrapped up with it. Without those we create monsters.