[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: Andy Berry <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:25:12 +0000

Students... think they know everything! With conversations rarely altering from beer and more beer

As a bus driver, I am quite happy to have a conversation with anyone who talks to me - the only thing we ask in that is that you do stay behind us (you wouldn't believe the number of people who don't realise that standing at the side of you means you can't see that all important left mirror!)

As for class these days - it is a different sort of class, rather than Lower, Middle, Working Middle and Upper, people seem to be split into 2 simple classes - those with money, and those without it. And unfortunately, as a bus driver, we are generally considered by people to be scum who are out to ruin everyones day by making them stand there for hours waiting for another bus to turn up... Last wednesday, upon leaving Derby, I had to pick up a rather large number of Derby County FC supporters, there were around 45-50 of them, along with about 20 others - hence basically filling the 72 person bus and making me approximately 10 minutes late. After driving about 5 minutes down the road, I was still really busy and slightly later (around 12-13 minutes), when I pulled up at a stop to pick up a gentleman who I guess was in his late 40's / early 50's. A person who in the day I would of driven past because my bus was basically full, but instead of making him wait half an hour for the next one, I decided to stop. As soon as I open the doors, Derby supporters practically falling out because there's no room, he pipes up 'Why are you so f'ing late? Traffic jam or just finishing your coffee?' - now I'm pretty sure that he could see the full bus, and the GPS tracking system installed at that bus stop has kept him informed of exactly how long I was going to be so I decided it was necessary to reply 'I finished my coffee and loved every drop of it' and immediately closed the doors and drove off without picking him up.

I don't really understand why people feel they are better than others, because to be honest, there are very few people who deserve to consider themselves as 'superior' beings (I'm talking doctors, firefighters, nurses (as I'm told by my fiancee) etc - people who make a real difference) and these people generally (I know some are idiots) are just like you and me (not you Alex, students are defenitely inferior beings :P). And generally, it tends to be those who have worked hard for their money and only gotten to where they are by taking the initiative and working (not those who win the lottery or something like that).

As mentioined by Alex, accent can play a big role in how people view you - I have an accent that is local to Nottinghamshire, however if I was overheard having a conversation with somebody with perhaps a strong Brummy accent, many people would instantly expect me to be the more intelligent of the two simply based on accent. (Yes before anyone says it, they obviously don't know me!)

The other thing I've noticed at my work is ageism - if somebody wants to find information about a bus and there is me and an older driver, people will always ask him first, as they assume they will know more and be more experienced, where as frequently, I'm the one who knows the answer as I've been in the job nearly 3 years compared to 3 months with a lot of our older drivers (we've had a large surge of them recently)

Andy

Alex - Reheat.org wrote:
Rather interesting topic this, my girlfriend is currently studying English Culture (rather useless degree if you ask me) and we regularly have argu....erm..discussions on this topic.

The distinction of course has always between the classes, go back any number of years and you will find that the "upper" classes tend to speak with more careful elocution than the lower classes. Just as we have today.

Then how does one put that in with the regional dialects? is a man from Kent a better man for speaking the way he has been brought up over a man from Lancashire? I was born and bred in Yorkshire with a very strong regional accent, 10 years down in fairy land (read Sussex) has diluted my accent rather profoundly, am I now a better class of person for having less of an accent?

I always try to chat to the bus driver whenever I'm forced to use the bus, however last time I tried I got told to shut the hell up, he then pointed to a sign saying "Do not talk to the driver"

Mind you, after meeting Andy Berry this weekend I'd perhaps suggest they don't often have anything useful to say anyway ;)

If you try to abolish categorisation of people the Rich will always be against being lumped in with the poor, if you keep it the poor will moan they are being victimised.... you cant win!

Alex

Bones wrote:
I still cannot understand how insular the English have become. Maybe
everyone has too busy a life and idle chat is a distraction - but it
undermines community. Despite this it hasn't entirely gone and it doesn't
need much to bring it back to the surface. Remember New York in the blackout
after 9/11 when everyone was out on the street..

I was in London on the night of the big storm. I've seen a lot worse here
and slept through most of it - only seeing the carnage the following
morning. Getting to Heathrow was fun with all the rail network down but I
managed it by bus down to Croydon and then to Richmond and up from there.

The first bus was full and very quiet - just an undercurrent of
conversation. Not knowing this to be the norm I sat down near to the front
and being only across from the driver I said to him "I bet you've had a hell
of a morning". The bus fell silent and, for a second, I thought I'd
transgressed some unwritten rule (or maybe you can't talk to drivers).
However the man recovered in sterling fashion and proceeded to tell us the
sights he'd encountered during his travelling that morning. Fascinating
stuff too - and ten minutes later the whole bus was alive with conversation.

The saddest part of that trip was going through Richmond and the castellated
walls lining Kew Gardens. Every few hundred yards the wall was breached were
a tree had come down and punched through it. I lost count in the end but it
was a sorry sight.