[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 18:01:01 +0000

Rather interesting topic this, my girlfriend is currently studying English Culture (rather useless degree if you ask me) and we regularly have argu....erm..discussions on this topic.

The distinction of course has always between the classes, go back any number of years and you will find that the "upper" classes tend to speak with more careful elocution than the lower classes. Just as we have today.

Then how does one put that in with the regional dialects? is a man from Kent a better man for speaking the way he has been brought up over a man from Lancashire?
I was born and bred in Yorkshire with a very strong regional accent, 10 years down in fairy land (read Sussex) has diluted my accent rather profoundly, am I now a better class of person for having less of an accent?

I always try to chat to the bus driver whenever I'm forced to use the bus, however last time I tried I got told to shut the hell up, he then pointed to a sign saying "Do not talk to the driver"

Mind you, after meeting Andy Berry this weekend I'd perhaps suggest they don't often have anything useful to say anyway ;)

If you try to abolish categorisation of people the Rich will always be against being lumped in with the poor, if you keep it the poor will moan they are being victimised.... you cant win!

Alex

Bones wrote:
I still cannot understand how insular the English have become. Maybe
everyone has too busy a life and idle chat is a distraction - but it
undermines community. Despite this it hasn't entirely gone and it doesn't
need much to bring it back to the surface. Remember New York in the blackout
after 9/11 when everyone was out on the street..

I was in London on the night of the big storm. I've seen a lot worse here
and slept through most of it - only seeing the carnage the following
morning. Getting to Heathrow was fun with all the rail network down but I
managed it by bus down to Croydon and then to Richmond and up from there.

The first bus was full and very quiet - just an undercurrent of
conversation. Not knowing this to be the norm I sat down near to the front
and being only across from the driver I said to him "I bet you've had a hell
of a morning". The bus fell silent and, for a second, I thought I'd
transgressed some unwritten rule (or maybe you can't talk to drivers).
However the man recovered in sterling fashion and proceeded to tell us the
sights he'd encountered during his travelling that morning. Fascinating
stuff too - and ten minutes later the whole bus was alive with conversation.

The saddest part of that trip was going through Richmond and the castellated
walls lining Kew Gardens. Every few hundred yards the wall was breached were
a tree had come down and punched through it. I lost count in the end but it
was a sorry sight.