[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 16:25:52 -0000

"Ask yourself, when was the last time you checked on your neighbours well
being?  Many these days don't even know their names, that's how much society
has changed in recent years."

OK. Next door to me is Rita. She works as a cook at the local hospital and
she has diabetes. I have the key to her house and I've twice had to get in
to find her in a coma - and get the ambulance down. I expect it will happen
again too. Next to her is Mike Goldie, nice bloke who is still coming to
terms with losing his wife. He's still very fit and I don't worry about him.

On my right is Hope who is 86 and frail after a heart attack. She needs
watching and if her curtains aren't drawn in the daytime a knock on the door
or a phone call usually sorts things out. I've only once had to get the
doctor to her. Next to Hope is Anne and John, then Joan, then....  I could
go on and give you the names of everyone in the 16 houses in the Close.

But I take your point. Once you stop knowing who your neighbours are
community spirit fails. At that point you turn to others to sort out
problems - which is why you have a job. The other endemic problem is that
horrible word called RESPONSIBILITY and everyone's habit of avoiding it at
all costs. This has floated down from business and Government - both whom
have set an awful example in recent years. Railtrack's total failure to
remember to maintain the track (not a single engineer on their Board)
doesn't go unnoticed and suddenly everyone thinks they do what they like and
not be accountable for their actions. When that mentality sets in then we
are definitely on the road from order to chaos..

God, I've definitely turned into a GOM!