[jhb_airlines] Re: IFC

  • From: Andy Berry <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:46:57 +0000

It's more of the point that nobody ever speaks to a London bus driver, it is a totally different world to up here... we are expected to have conversations with people if they so wish - the joys of working for a customer service orientated bus company :|

Andy

Bones wrote:
I still cannot understand how insular the English have become. Maybe
everyone has too busy a life and idle chat is a distraction - but it
undermines community. Despite this it hasn't entirely gone and it doesn't
need much to bring it back to the surface. Remember New York in the blackout
after 9/11 when everyone was out on the street..

I was in London on the night of the big storm. I've seen a lot worse here
and slept through most of it - only seeing the carnage the following
morning. Getting to Heathrow was fun with all the rail network down but I
managed it by bus down to Croydon and then to Richmond and up from there.

The first bus was full and very quiet - just an undercurrent of
conversation. Not knowing this to be the norm I sat down near to the front
and being only across from the driver I said to him "I bet you've had a hell
of a morning". The bus fell silent and, for a second, I thought I'd
transgressed some unwritten rule (or maybe you can't talk to drivers).
However the man recovered in sterling fashion and proceeded to tell us the
sights he'd encountered during his travelling that morning. Fascinating
stuff too - and ten minutes later the whole bus was alive with conversation.

The saddest part of that trip was going through Richmond and the castellated
walls lining Kew Gardens. Every few hundred yards the wall was breached were
a tree had come down and punched through it. I lost count in the end but it
was a sorry sight.