[jhb_airlines] Re: Hugh Garlick

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:53 +0100 (BST)

I always knew that I wanted to be the boss!

As a youth I was as passionate about mining as you were about aviation.
Living in the LAKE District, I explored every lead and copper mine I
could find - and I too have a book Postlethwaite's "Mines and Mining in
the English Lake District" which was privately published in 1911 and is
now a collector's item.

I created a fictitious mining company as a teenager, with costs, balance
sheets, ore quality issues, ground support problems, mine plans and even
general drawings.  I did all the calcs for motor sizes for pumps and
winding engines and calculated volumes of spoil generated and where I
would put it all.  I used dice to generate the random data such as size
and value of ore body and where it would be found.

I went to Birmingham University for an interview for a place in the
Chemical Engineering faculty and came back with a place in the Mining
School.  My mother, bless her, just accepted it!

When I started work in the mining industry in Australia a reality cheque
arrived in the post.

No women
Lots of booze and gambling
Nothing else to do
Mining is increasingly vast scale opencast muckshifting and I liked
working in litttle dark damp and hot holes 4000 feet below the surface
with the glint of gold at the face.
Mining is always in god-forsaken places and getting ever more
god-forsaken.
Therefore 1, 2, & 3 (& 4) will perpetuate.

I gave it up went to the labour exchange and the woman behind the desk
said "God knows what you can do with a mining degree in the city.  Try
the Water Board!"

Finally after achieving a reasonable status in the Water Supply Industry
(Engineering Director of a small private company) I ended up working for
myself - the ultimate boss. <g>