[jhb_airlines] Horizon's FSX VFR Scenery

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:27:00 +0000

For anyone not yet having ordered the Horizon scenery, the followingg, just recieved, throws light on where they are going, as well as the revised release date.

Roll on next month.....sorry, that started this morning. Must be my age.

Gerry Winskill

"Thank you for placing an order with Horizon Simulation for VFR Photographic Scenery Generation X. This email has been sent to update you on the status of these products and of your order.

As you may be aware, there has been a slight delay releasing VFR Generation X. The reason for this is that we have only very recently received the final (RTM) version of FSX - having been working with beta versions until that point. As such our testing period had been extended by 2 weeks.

Following initial review using the RTM version, we discovered some new ways to considerably improve performance compared to the FSX beta and to reduce the file sizes and squeeze yet further frame rates from the software. We believe we should do everything we can to make this the best product it can be and therefore took the decision to delay release slightly.

As a result of these improvements, the photographic, terrain and night lighting sceneries will now fit on 3 dual-layer DVDs, totalling c. 21GB per Volume for the full installation. In fact, we managed to save so much space that there was little extra left over, so rather than waste this additional capacity, we’ve decided to add further value:

1. We’ve increased the resolution of the terrain mesh from 10m to 5m. The difference in quality and accuracy is visually staggering and we’re delighted to be able to provide you with yet further detail, without impacting frame rates adversely.

2. After the release we are also going to be providing FREE high-resolution downloads for VFR Generation X users for many cities and towns across the UK. The detail will at least 4 times better than VFR Generation X scenery at 60cm per pixel resolution or better.

Note: For clarity, VFR Generation X is an ongoing program and, whilst cities and large towns will be provided FREE at high resolution to complement the photographic scenery, large scale updates and other 3D object enhancement/add-ons may be charged for.

3. Whilst inland water will not be included on the disks themselves, we will be releasing a FREE download that provides correctly placed and individually coloured water bodies that match the colours within the photographic scenery. This will mean that users will not have a single, unusual ‘blue’ colour for water throughout the scenery area, but will retain the colours of the actual water whilst still enjoying the spectacular new FSX water effects. The reason this will be a download is to allow us to review the impact of DirectX 10 (to be released as beta shortly) on the water bodies and to give users a choice whether they would like FSX or photographic water inland. This will be available a couple of weeks after the initial release (late November/early December).

4. Horizon Simulation is also working with Gary Summons (UK2000 Scenery), Carl Edwards, and Visual Flight, to generate 3D airports and city models which are fully compatible with VFR Generation X. To add further value to the Generation X community, we have negotiated discounts for all our customers on these products. More details to follow soon.

5. We will include the full demo of Snowdonia and North-West Wales – including photographic, terrain, and 3D objects – a taster of our new products. These will provide complete and accurate coverage of 3d objects throughout the entire scenery area to complement VFR Generation X. To see screenshots of what to expect, please click this link: http://www.horizonsimulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=196

We expect to release all 3 volumes together on the 15th November. However, we will ship to you on the 14th November (or before) to ensure you receive your order by the day of release."