[jhb_airlines] Re: Heathrow Xtreme Demo

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 09:56:48 -0000

I must admit to an equal degree of concern when flying into EGLL for real
but it is surprisingly easy. As long as you have the chart showing all the
block numbers the exceptionally precise Ground instructions are excellent.

We usually park up at Fields/Harrods/Metro or whatever it is these days.
Landing on 27L or 09R is a doddle as you just vacate to the south. Landing
on 27R requires a more complex route onto the inner or outer, then down the
old 04 for a bit and off into the spur. Change frequency to cross 27L and
then into the bay. You feel a bit vulnerable with a B747 ahead and three
behind but you try to ignore them.. <g>

The one thing I never got used to was standing on the Metro apron when 09R
was in use. The departing aircraft would be only about 300ft up as they
passed you..