[jhb_airlines] Re: Having your hands full

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 18:06:10 -0000

Kev,

If you go into the ATC setup box and select the Flightstrip tab you can
choose a few options for strip display. One is to show all strips but =
this
is fairly pointless as you get most European traffic. Another is to show
selected strips and here you can type in the airfield codes for the =
aircraft
destinations. Last week I set my system up by putting just Glasgow and
Bristol in here and so I had strips for the UK aircraft on those routes =
but
nothing else.

Regardless of how you organise this selection you still see all the =
blips on
radar - and can still right click a blip to bring up its strip in the =
bottom
right of your screen.

Being ex ATC I can't work without the strips and always have them on =
show.
Old habits is one reason but strips also allow you to continue =
controlling
traffic even if the radar fails. You don't need radar to control traffic =
-
we got along quite happily without radar from 1946 to the early 1970's - =
but
procedural control is a different discipline and takes some learning.=20

Us old guys are still in the habit of applying procedural clearances to
aircraft despite radar as we know that should the radar suddenly get =
zapped,
or the radio fail, the aircraft are still safe. An example is =
restricting an
outbound aircraft to a level like FL110 if we know that there is an =
inbound
aircraft approaching on the same route. We wouldn't just drop the =
inbound to
6000ft and clear the outbound up to FL310 and then use radar to resolve =
the
conflict.

The trouble is that procedural control is hard to teach. You only learn =
half
of it at the college - the rest by actually working traffic and learning
from experience. Some of the old guys were real procedural wizards and =
could
handle lots of traffic without turning a hair - it was fascinating to =
watch
but you couldn't work out how they did it. These chaps were at Barton =
Hall
when I was posted there - the original Northern ATCC that existed prior =
Manchester sub centre (London ATCC controlled up to Birmingham, Northern
ATCC from Brum to 55N and then Scottish ATCC onwards). Barton Hall was a
lovely country house some six miles north of Preston in beautiful =
grounds
and I regret its closure. There was little outside to spoil the view - =
just
a couple of radio antennae. Inside it was all low tech with most =
positions
being nothing more than sloping boards for the strips and a radio socket =
plug a headset in. A headset, a pen and some strips and you were in =
action.

I'd better shut up now or else I could ramble on all night..